Friday, March 31, 2017

Transition Stage

Hello all and welcome to week 8 of the Senior Research Projects through my eyes...


As the title of this blog suggests, I did indeed read about the "transition stage" of ACT. If this phrasing confuses you, by transition stage, I mean the stage during which someone undergoing ACT would have their neural pathways remolded - technically this isn't a "stage" as this period of time is supposed to last throughout the entire treatment process and beyond. To explain it further and connect this subsection of my paper to the other subsections of my paper (the results section will contain three subsections: Psychological Underpinnings, Neurobiological Underpinnings, and Transition Stage), the "transition stage" will talk about the effects of the psychological underpinnings on the neurobiological underpinnings. For the sake of clarity, I will state the purpose of this subsection another time: the "transition phase" will discuss how the brain changed before and after/during ACT.


Like last week, I will include the introductory paragraph to the mentioned subsection:

The root of ACT's success lays in its emphasis on peaceful teachings and smooth training. Rather than forcefully attempting to enact physical neural change, the therapy allows for the brain to be taught an old way which has been forgotten, or an entirely new way of functioning. Neural pathways are remolded not through trickery or submission, but are instead led towards change through the impact of the six pillars of ACT: acceptance, self-as-context, defusion, values, contact with the present moment, and committed action. Both the patient and the therapist are involved in the transitional stages of therapy, enabling the patient to come to their own conclusions and improve their own quality of life. The therapist acts as a guiding hand rather than a strict enforcer of principles. The psychological aspects of ACT affect the neurobiological aspects, leading to changes in neural pathways; the philosophy behind the therapy causes the physical change seen in patients before and after implementing ACT.

This paragraph is actually unedited so I hope you can forgive any terrible mistakes I may have made...but please do tell me in the comments below if you have any suggestions!


P.S. Gillian (a member of my blog group) turned 18 today so if you want to read about PTSD and mice experiments or even just wish her luck in adulthood you can check out her blog.

P.P.S. Good luck to everyone taking mocks (I hear the AP Psychology mock was today so if any of you took that I hope my blog mentioned something at some point which you found useful)!

22 comments:

  1. Hey Dani!
    I loved this blog post! I was able to apply what I have learned in psychology to the ACT therapy methods. Can't wait to hear from you next week. (This was unedited too so no worries)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dani! I think you did a good job of clarifying the transitional phase. Can you please explain why the transitional phase includes the beginning and end as well as the middle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dhanya. Thanks. Because change happens throughout the entire process.

      Delete
  3. Hi Dani! This is an interesting post, does the transition stage have any long term effects?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ritika! Thanks, and yes, that is the goal.

      Delete
  4. Hey Dani! Nice post in explaining a bit deeper.. since ACT is a therapy without strict enforcements from either therapist or patient do you think it would still have a great effect compared to other therapies? See you next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sruthi! Thanks...it's not that there isn't strict enforcement but that there are no punishments (i.e. the patients have to want change to occur in order for change to occur).

      Delete
  5. Hi Dani! Great post! When you mention that ACT teaches the brain old methods and functions, can ACT treat those with amnesia and other types of memory loss?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kailee! Thanks. I have no idea but I suppose this is entirely possible.

      Delete
  6. Hey Danni. The transition stage seems really interesting in how it uses the 6 pillars of ACT. So throughout the period of ACT, the transition stage encompasses the whole time period? Also, as Kailee stated, can this treat people with memory loss? I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Josh. Yes and I don't know (I'll have to find out!)

      Delete
  7. Hi Dani! The transition stage seems interesting especially since it is used to guide the patient. Do you think it is still effective even if the patient isn't put under strict guidelines? See ya next week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Dani. I found it interesting how the therapy seems to ease patients into acceptance and values rather than forcing them to undertake such principles. Anyways thanks and look forward to next week's post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Dani! Once again your introduction paragraph seems flawless and I loved your gifs (very fun to watch over and over again). Transition stage granted did confuse me at first when you were explaining it, but I eventually figured it out. See you next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bella! Thanks. Also Happy Birthday (I believe it was yesterday?)

      Delete
  10. Hi Dani! As always, looks like you've been doing a lot of work on your paper. I think that your explanation of the transition stage was very clear. Thanks for the little birthday shout out; I really like the gif (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gillian! You too. Thanks and no problem.

      Delete
  11. Hi Danielle! I appreciate the detailed explanation on what the transition stage entails. Each weak just provides more and more clarity! keep it up!

    ReplyDelete