Friday, March 17, 2017

Neurobiological Underpinnings

Hello all and welcome to Week 6 of the weekly Danielle blog!


This week I focused on reading and dissecting the papers chosen for the neurological underpinnings section of my systematic review. By the end of this process, I was left with more of the chosen papers excluded than included, and oftentimes I would decide to not use a paper after I had already read and taken notes on the entire paper, which was a little frustrating. However, by the last couple papers, I had developed a more effective method of dissection, which should make the coming weeks a little simpler and more exciting. Some of the reasons for why I decided to not include chosen papers were: a lack of original material, a lack of neurological focus, or a lack of large quantities of information. There was a particular disorder, PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder), which I was particularly dismayed upon realizing that none of the chosen papers from my original search which focused on it would be included. In the case of papers on PTSD, I found that papers tended to emphasize the behavioral aspects of the disorder rather than the physical aspects, eliminating it from my paper. I was excited to learn more about this disorder due to its complexity (after this week I realized that finding a psychological condition which can be described as "simple" would be a Herculean task), similarity with other conditions, and comorbidity with other conditions. I hope I didn't geek out too much right there but if you weren't able to tell...I just really want to know how the brain works.


After organizing my notes a bit and outlining the section, Patherica and I met to discuss how to order the section and to clear up some of my confusion. We decided that since some of the conditions my paper will talk about are specific disorders and others are conditions which include different aspects of other disorders but are not part of a specific umbrella group of psychiatric taxonomy, the conditions should be ordered as such: chronic stress, anorexia nervosa, anxiety, trichotillomania, chronic pain (and fibromyalgia), self-harm (suicidal and non-suicidal), substance abuse (including opioid and methamphetamine dependence), then attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. We decided that chronic stress should be the first because it can lead to the development of almost any other disorder or condition. Anorexia nervosa was put next due to its similarity to anxiety, which is very closely related to trichotillomania due to the two's similarities with OCD, which I did not find any suitable papers on. Also, if any oh you are not aware (which I imagine must be many of you), trichotillomania is a disorder which is characterized by compulsive hair pulling. Next, we put chronic pain and fibromyalgia - which is a type of chronic pain (Patherica reminded me to emphasize that while not all chronic pain is fibromyalgia, all fibromyalgia is chronic pain). Since chronic pain has a high comorbidity with self-harm and substance abuse, both often serving as coping mechanisms, we decided that they should follow chronic pain. Last but not least came ADHD. While this disorder is not specifically similar to any of the previously mentioned disorders and conditions, we thought it should be mentioned last, serving as a way to show that ACT is effective as a treatment for non-stress-related disorders as well as stress-related ones.


I hope this post was as exciting for you all as it was for me :)

I can't wait to give you all another update next week. Godspeed in your adventures my followers.

23 comments:

  1. Hey Dani!
    First off great blog post ( especially loved the Herculean task reference @ Mr.Witz). It's amazing that ACT is effective with a number of different conditions and disorders! Is there one it is particularly effective with? See you next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Layla! Thanks and haha it's great to see you've been paying attention in Language class. ACT is particularly effective for chronic pain, anxiety, and depression. See you!

      Delete
  2. Hi, Danielle! I love this post, especially all the disorders you're looking at! Has ACT been successful in treating these many disorders? Can't wait for your next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kailee! Thanks. Yes, it has. Right back at you.

      Delete
  3. Hey Dani! Nice Post! I like how you started to research on multiple disorders and how it could be applied to ACT. As you researched about these disorders, did you find anything that suggests ACT can be helpful in treatment for the patients? or do you have to research more on that? See you next week! :)
    - Sruthi Murala

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sruthi! Thanks. Actually, ACT is one of the treatments available for all of the disorders I will discuss in my final paper. See you!

      Delete
  4. Hi Dani! I loved all of the disorders that you mentioned in this blog post! Are you going to write about all of these disorders in your final paper, or are you going to narrow your focus down to a couple?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dhanya! Cool. I hope to talk about all the ones I mentioned this post but I suppose I might decide to exclude some of them at a later time.

      Delete
  5. Hey Dani! Those are some interesting disorders that you have introduced. Will these disorders affect a person in the long run and will the ACT be a good answer when dealing with these disorders?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ritika! Yes, they really are. If ignored, these disorders could affect someone their entire life (some of them will affect patients in the long run even if "treated") and yes, ACT is generally seen as a "good answer."

      Delete
  6. Hi Dani! Thanks for keeping us updated and I'm glad you enjoyed this week. The disorders you mentioned were extremely interesting due to the complexity. Can ACT truly help such complex mental disorders?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nash! Thanks, I hope you enjoyed this week too. Yes they are, and yes it can.

      Delete
  7. Hey Dani! Once again I loved your gifs on the week's post. That is a large variety a disorders that have many spectrums and every person seems to have the disorder affect them differently. Is ACT expected to help with all of them or are you going to see which disorder it helps the most?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bella! Thanks. ACT has had varying levels of success with each and I will be attempting to discover where this success comes from.

      Delete
  8. Hey Dani! You talked about how towards the last few papers you developed an effective form of dissection and I was wondering if you could elaborate upon that. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kayvon! In order to read through the papers a little quicker and determine if a paper was not suitable prior to reaching the end, I decided to skim sections and only fully read the ones which seemed to touch on the subjects I am interested in for the purposes of this paper. I hope that helped!

      Delete
  9. Hi Dani. I was wondering how ACT can actually help these disorders more in depth. its nice to see you keeping up with the hard work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Josh. ACT can help people deal with some of their struggles by helping them accept negatives as unavoidable parts of life. Once you accept that pain and struggle cannot be indefinitely ignored, it is much easier to advance and focus on other parts of life. Thanks, you too.

      Delete
  10. Dani,
    This week in AP Psych we are learning about many of these mental disorders you mentioned - how fitting! This is such a fascinating part of psychology so I hope you are enjoying this research. I was wondering if your discoveries this week have altered the scope of your project at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Campbell,
      That sounds really interesting, I really enjoyed that part of the class when I took it a couple years ago. I do find this research quite engaging and can't wait to learn more. When planning how I would go about my project, I tried to keep things very basic, so rather than changing, my scope has become more focused.

      Delete
  11. Hi Dani! Sounds like this past week was a lot of work. How did you go about finding these papers? I've been helping the graduate student I am working under find some articles about recovery from chronic stress and found it can be quite time consuming. I look forward to next week's post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Gillian! I found the majority of my papers from PubMed and a couple from JSTOR and the Mayo Clinic's server. It is quite time-consuming so I hope you got in the swing of things quicker than I did. See you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Your patience throughout this process is unreal. Good for you for being able to perservere through such long papers. Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete