Friday, March 24, 2017

Psychological Underpinnings

Hello all and welcome to week 7 of my Senior Research Project!

This week, I read a multitude of papers on the psychological underpinnings of ACT. After dissecting dozens of papers, I realized that I had little information about the waves of psychotherapy to draw from as the papers tended to focus on peaceful teachings. In order to include the three waves of psychotherapy, I consulted my old AP Psych textbook from 10th grade *ah the memories*.


Here is the introductory paragraph for the Psychological Underpinnings section of my systematic review:


Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) has roots in both peaceful teachings - such as Buddhism, yoga, meditation, Sufism, and Mindfulness Meditation (MM) - and other psychological theories - such as Sigmund Freud’s theories, B.F. Skinner’s Radical Behaviorism, Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT), Relational Frame Therapy (RFT), and Dialectic Behavior Therapy (DBT). This vast collection of influencers has put it at the forefront of third wave psychotherapy. The combined effective elements of each teaching and therapy has promoted success in improving the quality of life of individuals with a large variety of conditions or disorders. In order for ACT to be improved and for its success to be replicated in alternate therapies, its psychological underpinnings must be fully comprehended. Understanding the philosophy behind the therapy enables a better understanding of the change fostered by the therapy, and knowledge of both is paramount for a complete appreciation of ACT.



Next in the psychological underpinnings section comes the subsections: peaceful teachings, first and second waves of psychotherapy, and last but definitively not least...third wave of psychotherapy. The first mentioned subsections draws primarily from the papers I dissected this week. The second subsection mostly references my old AP Psych textbook: Myers' Psychology for AP. The third subsection principally alludes to websites and books.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask them!



Anywho I spent my week reading papers, books, and websites in order to better understand the psychological underpinnings of ACT and to refresh my mind a bit so that I could better remember what I learned all those years ago in AP Psych.

P.S. I do not actually "vaguely remember someone crying"...I just liked the gif :)

P.P.S. If any of you are interested in buying a Psych textbook for fun, I would recommend Myers' Psychology for AP as the authors occasionally made puns and bad jokes which I enjoyed

22 comments:

  1. Hi Dani! I found the paragraph about the psychological underpinnings really clear! How do the biological and psychological underpinnings relate at the most basic level?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dhanya! Thanks. The psychological underpinnings created the therapy, which enables neurobiological changes.

      Delete
  2. Hi Dani! Sounds like your systematic review is coming along quite well. Good call to use that Psychology text book (I don't think I ever actually bought it...). I am truly impressed by the amount of focus wading through all this information must have required.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gillian! You could say that. It was such a great book! Right back at you...also Happy almost Birthday :P

      Delete
  3. I like how you used a past reference to help assist you in your studies! Your introductory for your systematic review is spot on! What websites and books were you planning on using for your subsections?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's nice that some of my time at BASIS has been useful. Thanks! A variety.

      Delete
  4. Hey Dani! The intro paragraph is really interesting to read so include more similar stuff in the blog soon! Look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dani. I just thought it was really cool how your past references helped you progress in your search. I hope your search for the psychological underpinnings of ACT goes well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Josh. Yes, it's nice that some of my time at BASIS has been useful. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Hey Dani! Another great blog post. The intro paragraph was really interesting to read. I prefer the AP Crash course review book if you haven't read it yet. Its pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Layla! Thanks. Actually I never did :( although I hear great things.

      Delete
  7. Hey Dani! I love how you are looking back two years to 10th grade. Oh the good old days. Your introduction paragraph was well written. I love how ACT is intertwined with peaceful practices; it really helps gives a sense on what ACT truly stands for. Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bella! Yes, it's nice that some of my time at BASIS has been useful. Thanks and yes it does.

      Delete
  8. Hey Dani! That's a very interesting post; what are some benefits to therapy other than a deep understanding of the ACT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ritika! Thanks; I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

      Delete
  9. Hi Dani! I like how you referred to past lessons to refresh your brain on the past knowledge, I am pretty sure that's helpful!
    I find the first paragraph interesting and gives me a better idea on what you are working on. See you next week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sruthi! Yes, it's nice that some of my time at BASIS has been useful. Thanks and see you :)

      Delete
  10. Hi Danielle! First things first, thank you so much for the clarification on the gif, I was a little worried there. Also, I have to commend you on how hard you have been working throughout these seven weeks; it's pretty incredible, you read and writ so much just on one type of therapy. Continue to do you because girl you are killing it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Frida! Oh no problem. Thanks! I'll keep killing stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dani, nice job with the introduction. It offers a very concise yet comprehensive overview of ACT. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Campbell, thank you so much. I hear your AP class will be taking their mock today so good luck this weekend (grading so many tests does not sound very appealing to me).

      Delete